Friday, February 20, 2009

Panamania: Getting There and Away


Hola!


I think its important for everyone to understand that this scholarship is just as much about the experience as it is about the education I will be receiving in Panama.


So to start this off right, I'm going to talk about getting here-to Boquete-the first destination on my trek.


When I first started researching countries to travel to, I had a plane ticket price in mind of about $600. Basically half of what the scholarship was.

I checked out several websites including:





I originally planned to fly from Toronto, but as I started looking, I realized it would be MUCH cheaper to fly from the States. I finally bought my round trip ticket from Syracuse, NY, to Panama City for a total (taxes in) of $422 US.

A bargain, you might say. Well, it's important to remember that you get what you pay for.

Let us begin my epic journey.

On February 15th, my family and I drove the 3 hours to the Syracuse Airport. I had to be there an hour early because mine was a domestic flight. Keep track-that's 4 hours and counting.

After a tearful goodbye to my little girl and husband, I boarded my plane, only to sit on the tarmac for an extra 1.5 hours because of 'scheduling conflicts'.

Finally the plane took off and we headed for Chicago (a quick 2 hour flight). When we landed, we sat again on the tarmac, this time for half an hour, because there was no ground crew available to wave us in. (Still counting-that's 8 hours).

After exiting the plan and rushing to make my next connecting flight (which the delays almost made me miss), I boarded only to wait another hour on board before take off because of de-icing efforts.

Finally, we took off and headed for Miami ( a 3 hour flight) where I had an 11 hour lay over. Because I got in at 1am, I booked a cheap hotel to sleep in for a few hours.


Now, I cannot state enough my engrained philosophy that 'You get what you pay for'. My 'hotel' was a scary affair, with winding unlit hallways, stained carpet and unflushing toilet.


You're probably thinking 'Why is this girl so damned cheap? Why not just splurge on the Best Western or Holiday Inn?'. To be honest, I have travelled quite a bit, and find I prefer the little hole in the wall place to a big chain. They just seem to have a more interesting feel to them.


The next morning, I headed back to the airport and caught my flight to Panama City. The flight was 3 hours long. (If you're still counting that's 22 hours).

Just before my plane landed, we were able to see the mountains and Panama Canal-it was pretty amazing!


After I got off the plane, I flew through customs and baggage claim and then headed out into the great unnknown.


As soon as I exited the airport, throngs of cab drivers started accosting me asking "Where you want to go, Lady?". Thank goodness for helpful Canadians. A Montrealer pulled me aside and asked me to share a collectivo (multi person cab) into the city. I jumped at the idea and we headed into the heart of Panama City towards the Terminale (bus terminal).


I always find it to be a little bit of a shock, first entering a new country, to see the stark contrast between it and Canada. Canada, with its clean streets, manicured lawns and snow seemed like a million miles away from Panama City.


First thing to note was the heat-the pilot told us it was 31 as we landed-and the unimaginable humidity. Next was the noise-horns honking, people yelling. And then the garbage, lining the highway, floating in water filled ditches. It doesn't sound that appealing I'm sure. But if you can get past all these detractors there were a million beautiful things to see.


Like the orange trees, standing tall between the rough buildings. And the Pacific, which we drove beside as we headed towards the city, with pelicans soaring over it. And finally the people, some in business suits with brief cases, others in colourful traditional Indiginous dress. It was incredible to take it all in!


Finally I reached the Terminale and purchased my ticket, in broken Spanish, to David City, a 7 hour bus ride away and then finally onto Boquete another hour away.


In total, I was in transit for 31 hours! Now that's an experience unto itself! I have to admit- I am pretty impressed with myself for getting here (in one piece) on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment