Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Panamania: The Way of It

Just want to start off by saying sorry for the big time lapse since my last post. My last 4 days in Panama the Internet was out-at least at the hostel I was staying at and I have been busy playing catch up since I returned on Friday.
I want to take this last blog to talk about some of the realities of my trip to Panama, some things that I definitely needed to be aware of and wasn't.
First, I cannot state enough what an incredible experience this was-to have the opportunity to travel and learn abroad for this length of time was phenomenal.
I think that if any of you have any aspirations to get out and see the world-this is absolutely the best way to do it. Having secure funding makes life a whole lot easier when you're out and about.
I would definitely recommend researching thoroughly the destination you are heading to. I made the mistake of buying the Panama Guide Book and relying on the info in it as gospel-only to realize too late that the book was about five years out of date.
Another thing to be wary of, especially if you're travelling alone, is the culture you are going to be participating in. As a single female traveller with limited Spanish skills, I found myself in several uncomfortable situations along the way. I knew before hand the role of women in Panama but wasn't at all prepared for the treatment I would receive being one. It really takes a toll on your self confidence to be hissed at, honked at and oggled for 4 weeks solid (that was truly the biggest draw back of travelling alone).
I definitely appreciate the fact that I had the opportunity to learn some of the language before really heading out on my own. It made travels infinitely easier and also allowed me to interact with people I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. I will definitely make an effort to learn a few key phrases before I head to any other exotic destinations.
So I guess the big thing I am recommending is RESEARCH. Learn as much about the area as you can before you head out there-it will make things a whole lot easier in the end.
I am going to try to get an album up of my pictures so that you can have some good visuals of what life was like down there (I don't have many because my camera was stolen-another reality of the road).
If anyone has any questions about this trip or how to get in line for an opportunity like this send me an email and I'll hook you up with the right info.
It really was an altering experience-I think everyone should have a chance like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment