Thursday, April 8, 2010

7 Mental Mistakes


We tend to accept our thoughts the way we’d never accept the same ideas from someone else. Below are 7 bad thoughts people typically tell themselves when considering a career change or challenge.

1) “I don’t know how.”
- No one knows how to do everything. That’s where the word LEARNING comes into play.
- Better thought: “I need to find some way to do this and will start finding out by…”

2) “I don’t think anyone would hire me to do this (or would buy this or be my client).”
- This line is famous for completely giving up. If you don’t want to give up stop recycling the past experience of no one being interested.
- Better thought: “I have to find the right people with the right needs/interests”

3) “Why try that? I’m just not good at it.”
- Just like learning, to be good at something you must PRACTICE; also you generally aren’t the best judge of how good you are.
- Better thought: “I haven’t been too great at that so far, but it it’s important for me to do, I can certainly learn how to do at least an OK job at it.”

4) “I screwed up. What an idiot I am.”
- The bigger success the bigger the past screw ups in most cases.
- Better thought: “How can I make sure I do that better so I don’t screw up next time?”

5) “I’d love to…but”
- If you would really love to do something there should be no buts.
- Better thought: “I’d love to do X, so I need to figure out some way to do it.”

6) “I’m too old to change careers.”
- You are never too old, typically this means you are afraid of going back to school or face younger bosses in a new field or face illegal age discrimination.
- Better thought: “Because I am really experienced, I know how to learn and can more quickly though a career change.”

7) “I’m too inexperienced to get the job/career I want.”
- A common variation of the “I don’t know how to” thought.
- Better thought: “I’m going to brainstorm 100 ways I can get experience I need.”

Source: www.choosingacareerblog.com
AM

No comments:

Post a Comment