Friday, July 22, 2011

Fun Facts Friday

You Won't Believe These Interview and Resume Mistakes!

Five Things to Avoid Saying
The following comments were based upon actual job candidate responses from various job interviews.

While some of the comments seem hilarious, they are good examples of what to avoid when you see the human resources representative or hiring manager for a possible job.

Lack of Tact
“I recently got laid off. I have a master’s degree and I thought this job would be an easy one to do while I wait for something better to come along.”

Not Understanding the Question or Lying
“I can’t really show you any samples of my writing because I used to work for the CIA and everything I wrote is classified.”

Bad Timing
“If I get this job I’ll need two weeks off in a couple of months.”

Being Critical of the Company You Want to Work For
“I heard in the news that your company had a major problem with quality control and lots of people probably got fired for it. That’s probably why you are hiring…”

Putting Your Worst Foot Forward
“I’m more of a people person and not too strong with numbers.” (The job seeker was applying for an accounting position.)

Résumés

  • "I have a bachelorette degree in computers."
  • "Graduated in the top 66% of my class."
  • "Married, eight children. Prefer frequent travel."
  • "Special skills: Thyping."
  • "My contributions on product launches were based on dreams that I had."
  • "Please disregard the attached resume -- it is terribly out of date."
  • "My salary requirement is $34 per year."
  • "I'll starve without a job but don't feel you have to give me one."
  • Experience: “Chapter president, 1887-1992.”
  • Experience: “I’m a hard worker, etc.”
  • Education: “I possess a moderate educatin but willing to learn more.”
  • Salary requirements: “The higher the better.”
  • Objective: “What I’m looking for in a job: #1) Money #2) Money #3) Money.”
  • Awards: “National record for eating 45 eggs in two minutes.”
  • Work experience: “Responsibilities included checking customers out.”
  • Reason for leaving: “Terminated after saying, ‘It would be a blessing to be fired.’”
  • Objective: “My dream job would be as a professional baseball player, but since I can’t do that, I’ll settle on being an accountant.”

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/resume.shtml, http://blog.resumebear.com/resume-cover-letter-tips/more-resume-bloopers/, http://www.graphicdesignbasics.com/2010/top-10-funny-job-interview-mistakes-part-i.html

No comments:

Post a Comment